Two additional prisons will be evacuated as the Brazos River continues to rise to historic levels. The Vance and Jester 3 Units in Richmond will be evacuated beginning Monday night. The evacuation will affect approximately 1,400 inmates assigned to the two facilities. The offenders are being transported by TDCJ buses, and are accompanied by correctional officers. Offenders assigned to the units will be sent to facilities in South Texas.
On Saturday, 4,500 offenders were moved from the Terrell, Stringfellow, and Ramsey Units in Brazoria County because of the rising flood waters.
TDCJ officials continue to monitor the situation and are working with our state partners as Tropical Storm Harvey makes its way across Texas.
- An emergency command center in Huntsville is operating 24-7
- Additional food and water has been delivered to receiving units
- Sandbags have been filled and delivered to affected units
- Medical staff is available to provide care to special needs offenders
- Additional staff has been called in to help affected units
Updates will be added as they become available to the TDCJ Web site at http://www.tdcj.texas.gov and on the agency’s social media pages.