The reward for Carlos Rafael Benitez, 29, a Texas 10 Most Wanted Fugitive and this month’s featured fugitive, has been increased to $10,000 for information leading to his capture if the tip comes in during the month of March. Benitez is wanted for failing to appear in court on charges of aggravated assault of a public servant and evading arrest/detention with a vehicle. All tips are guaranteed to be anonymous.
Benitez has been wanted since March 2017, after he failed to appear in court to face charges of aggravated assault of an Amarillo Police Department officer and evading arrest with a vehicle stemming from a traffic stop on Aug. 2, 2016. Benitez has ties to Amarillo (his last known address), Donley County (including the town of Hedley), Dallas, Grand Prairie, and Arlington.
Benitez is 5 feet 5 inches tall and weighs approximately 170 pounds. He has a tattoo of “BENITEZ” on his back. Benitez has a history of working in the tire service business. For more information or updates in the event of his arrest, see his wanted bulletin at: https://www.dps.texas.gov/texas10mostwanted/MostWanted/fugitiveDetails?id=389.
One offender from the Texas 10 Most Wanted Program is featured each month in hopes the higher reward money from the Governor’s Criminal Justice Division will generate additional tips. The higher reward amount will only be paid if the tip comes in the same month the fugitive is featured. In 2017, Texas Crime Stoppers paid $61,000 in total rewards for anonymous tips that resulted in arrests.
To be eligible for the cash rewards, tipsters MUST provide information to authorities using one of the five following methods:
- Call the Crime Stoppers hotline at 1-800-252-TIPS (8477).
- Text the letters “DPS” – followed by your tip – to 274637 (CRIMES) from your cell phone.
- Submit a web tip through the DPS website by selecting the fugitive you have information about, and then clicking on the link under their picture.
- Submit a Facebook tip at http://www.facebook.com/texas10mostwanted by clicking the “SUBMIT A TIP” link (under the “About” section).
- Submit a tip through the DPS Mobile App. The app is currently available for iPhone users on the Apple App Store: (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/texas-dps/id902092368?mt=8) and for Android users on Google Play: (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.microassist.texasdps&hl=en).
All tips are anonymous – regardless of how they are submitted, and tipsters will be provided a tip number instead of using a name.
DPS investigators work with local law enforcement agencies to select fugitives for the Texas 10 Most Wanted Fugitive and Sex Offender lists. You can find the current lists – with photos – on the DPS website at http://www.dps.texas.gov/texas10mostwanted/.
Do not attempt to apprehend these fugitives; they are considered armed and dangerous.