May 1st Deadline for Scholarship Applicants
Sam Houston State University’s (SHSU) College of Criminal Justice, in partnership with the Correctional Management Institute of Texas (CMIT), will be awarding two scholarships to TDCJ employees nominated by the agency and accepted into the SHSU Master of Science in Criminal Justice Leadership and Management Weekend program. This is a high-quality degree program supporting the educational goals of ambitious criminal justice professionals.
The scholarship will cover tuition. Scholarship recipients will be responsible for books, fees, and other related costs. Continued financial support of selected employees will be contingent upon their maintaining at least a 3.3 grade point average (GPA) and completing the degree program in two years. At least two classes are required to be completed each semester as required by the Master of Science in Criminal Justice Leadership and Management curriculum.
SHSU admission requirements include the following:
- An undergraduate degree from an accredited institution in criminal justice or an allied field;
- Official transcripts of all academic work previously undertaken (unofficial, internet, or copies of an official transcript will not be accepted);
- An acceptable undergraduate degree GPA. A prima facie acceptable GPA is a 3.0 for the final 30 baccalaureate credits. A graduate record examinations (GRE) score may be required to demonstrate graduate study readiness if the GPA is not adequate;
- Two letters of recommendation, with at least one from the applicant’s employing agency, indicating awareness of the time commitment involved over the next two-year period, and willingness to enable the employee to keep his or her weekend commitments;
- A completed College of Criminal Justice Master of Science Program Applicant Questionnaire;
- A personal essay outlining career background and goals to include:
- Employee’s full name,
- Unit or department of assignment,
- Current supervisor’s name,
- Warden or department head’s name,
- Why the employee is interested in achieving a Master of Science in Criminal Justice Leadership and
Management degree, and
- Benefit to the agency;
- Current employment with the TDCJ with a minimum of five years experience;
- International students are required to take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). A minimum score of 550 (paper-based), 213 (computer-based), or 79 (internet-based) is required;
The additional TDCJ criteria for the nominations must include the following:
- Demonstrated agency supervisory experience; and
- Outstanding performance as reflected in a current performance evaluation (a minimum rating of “Somewhat Exceeds Standards” in all areas evaluated and a rating of “Exceeds Standards” in at least 50% of areas considered essential functions).
Additional details regarding the SHSU Master of Science in Criminal Justice Leadership and Management Weekend program are available at www.cjcenter.org or by contacting Doris Pratt at (936) 294-3637 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
All scholarship paperwork must be submitted to Patty Garcia, Human Resources Division Director, no later than, or postmarked by Friday, April 8, 2016, at 5:00 p.m. Patty Garcia’s office is in the Human Resources Headquarters building, located in the West Hill Mall. The mailing and physical address is 2 Financial Plaza, Suite 600, Huntsville, Texas 77340. Please contact Ms. Garcia at (936) 437-4088 if you have any questions.
Interested scholarship applicants must also ensure they have completed the admissions process through the Office of Graduate Admissions, PO Box 2478, Huntsville, Texas 77341-2478 no later than, May 1, 2016.