ERS encourages employees, retires to participate in election
We know you value your benefits and want to have a voice in member benefit changes. By getting involved and voting in the 2017 ERS Board of Trustees election, you will have the opportunity to support an advocate for your interests to serve a six-year term. All ERS members are eligible to vote. This includes active employees, retirees and individuals who have left state employment but did not withdraw their contributions to the ERS Trust Fund.
Your participation is important. In recent elections, fewer than 12% of state employees have voted.
The six members of the ERS Board of Trustees make key decisions about your benefits. They authorize the selection of third-party administrators to manage your health care and pharmacy benefits. They approve new programs such as vision benefits. They approve the budget for ERS operations and oversee ERS Trust Fund investments on which current and future ERS retirees depend for retirement security.
ERS members and retirees elect three members of the ERS Board of Trustees. The other three Trustees are appointed and confirmed by the Texas Senate; one each by the Governor, the Speaker of the House, and the Chief Justice of the Texas Supreme Court. Each of the six Trustees serves a staggered six-year term.
Here are some ways you can get involved:
- Become a candidate.
- Learn about a trustee’s responsibilities and requirements.
- Contributing ERS employee class members are eligible to serve on the Board. Employees of the Texas Health and Human Services Commission and the Texas Department of Insurance are not eligible because current members of the Board of Trustees are employed by these agencies.
- Submit a completed Nomination Petition Form and Questionnaire by Wednesday, February 1, 2017, at 5 p.m. CT.
- Help nominate a candidate.
- Sign a Nomination Petition Form between January 2, 2017 and February 1, 2017.
- Get to know the candidates.
- Watch the March 9, 2017 Candidate Forum by attending in person, streaming online, or viewing on the ERS website.
- Vote in the ERS election.
- Paper and electronic voting will begin March 10, 2017 and run through April 14, 2017.
- NEW! If you have an email address registered with ERS, you will receive a direct email which allows you to vote quickly and securely.
More election information is available on the ERS website at http://www.ers.state.tx.us/About_ERS/Board/Election.
- Monday, January 2, 2017 – Nominating petitions available
- Wednesday, February 1, 2017 – Candidate nominations due to ERS by 5 p.m. CT
- Wednesday, February 15, 2017 – Certification of candidates; ballot order selected
- Thursday, March 9, 2017 – Candidate forum
- Friday, March 10, 2017 – Voting begins
- Friday, April 14, 2017 – Voting ends
- Wednesday, May 10, 2017 – Results certified
- Friday, September 1, 2017 – Trustee term begins