by Emily Binetti, SHSU
Traffic flow changes are scheduled to begin over spring break (March 12-16) on the Sam Houston State University campus. Due to new campus construction and a tremendous increase in pedestrians and vehicles, a number of streets will be rerouted to one-way in order to provide the safest method of vehicular and pedestrian movement.
- East Bowers Boulevard between Avenue H (also known as Bobby K. Marks) and Avenue I will be one-way with traffic moving west only
- West Bowers Boulevard between Avenue I and Sam Houston Avenue will be one-way with traffic moving east only
- Avenue I between East Bowers Boulevard and 22nd Street will be one-way with traffic moving south only
- Avenue J between 21st Street and West Bowers Boulevard will be one-way with traffic moving south only
- University Avenue between West Bowers Boulevard and 17th Street will change one-way directions with traffic moving north only
THINGS YOU SHOULD KNOW:
- Work for a sidewalk along Bowers Blvd (adjacent to the Estill building) will begin Feb 5 and should be completed Feb 23. There will be alternating entrance closures to the Estill parking lot. Flagmen will be in place as needed.
- March 10 – 18, crews will be working to reroute affected streets. Flaggers will help direct traffic as needed.
- Observe caution and look for signage that indicates the new one-way directional flow.
- Plan some extra commute time during the first couple of days while people become accustomed to the new routes.
- During construction, check the KatSafe webpage often for updates.